Optimal skin care for all ages comes down to the basic essentials. Skipping them is likely to undermine achieving the best results. Make sure you protect your skin from avoidable damage particularly over exposure to the sun. Have a sensible daily routine for your skin type and skin condition (concern). Then determine whether you need any age-specific products.
Skincare for all ages
Skincare for teenagers
- Don’t over cleanse or over exfoliate especially if you have oily, blemished or acne skin, this causes the skin to become more inflamed, more irritated and break out more. Over cleaning is not the answer. Healing and anti-inflammatory skin care is what the skin needs.
- Always remove makeup before going to sleep! (Even at 2am!)
- Don’t use heavy oil base concealers and/or foundations that clog and congest the skin. If you add oily based products (especially those containing petrochemicals – which is the slug left over after petrol is made, and people put this in cosmetics and then apply it to their skin?!) to an oily skin this creates a perfect environment for bacteria to thrive and pimples to spread and multiply.
- Don’t pick or squeeze skin, this damages the skin internally, spreads infection and causes scarring.
Basic Skin Care for teenagers
- Cleanse AM & PM – use a gel cleanser with water to cleanse and balance without stripping the skin of its natural oils and protection
- Treatment Serum AM & PM – balances the skin’s pH and corrects skin concerns such as oily skin, acne, enlarged pores, pimples, premenstrual break out, scarring, etc (see Clear Skin Systems)
- Hydrate AM &/or PM – light hydrating non-oily moisturiser if needed
- Sunwise AM – Zinc based, non-chemical, non-greasy, non-clogging sun protection. Zinc applied topically to the skin is very soothing and healing, as well as offering sun protection.
- Mineral Veil Foundation – non-clogging, non-greasy pure mineral foundation with excellent cover and healing benefits.
Skin care in your 20’s
- Don’t over cleanse or over exfoliate
- Avoid harsh soaps, alcohol-based toners, and other drying agents that strip away the natural oil and cause the skin pH to become unbalanced
- Avoid long term use of irritating products such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHA’s) or glycolic acids
- Don’t over stimulate the skin with products meant for a more mature skin, this will cause the skin to become over stimulated, resulting in a worse breakout (pimples)
Basic skin care in your 20’s
- Cleanse AM & PM – the evening cleanse is the most important, removing make-up, environmental dirt, debris and oil.
- Treatment Serum AM & PM – to maintain, balance or treat specific skin concerns eg excess oil, blackheads, pimples, dehydration, or skin irritations, etc (visit our Skincare Advisor to identify your skin concerns)
- Hydrate AM &/or PM – replace moisture (not oil) if skin is dehydrated
- Exfoliate 1 x per week with our natural enzyme exfoliator, especially for congested skin
- Sunwise AM – non-chemical, non-greasy, non-clogging sun protection
- Mineral Veil Foundation – non-clogging, non-greasy pure mineral foundation
Skin care in your 30’s
- This is a time when you may begin to notice changes in your skin, such as wrinkles in motion (appear when you smile), hormones, growth factors and collagen production begin to decline.
- Metabolism and cell turnover rate begin to slow down.
- Your skin may show signs of sun damage, pigmentation, visible roughness, fine lines and discolorations.
- It is the time to make your skin care regime more comprehensive and begin to incorporate Vitamin A, B & C, lipoic acid and peptides, into your routine. They all contain essential anti-ageing ingredients and nutrients for optimal skin health.
Essential Skin Care for 30’s
- Cleanse AM & PM – to cleanse & allow the serums to penetrate into the skin
- Treatment Serum AM & PM – anti-ageing treatment serums to repair damage, restore natural pigment, balance and harmonise, stimulate collagen production, etc, (visit our Skincare Advisor to identify your skin concerns)
- Hydrate AM & PM – hydrate (for moisture dry), and moisturise or nourish (for oil dry)
- Exfoliate 1-3 x per week with natural enzyme exfoliator to remove dead skin cells &/or clogged pores and congested skin (helps penetration of active ingredients)
- Sun Wise AM – non-chemical, non-greasy, calming and hydrating sun protection
- Mineral Veil Foundation – non-clogging, natural, light weight pure mineral foundation, to match your skin colour and tone (cool/neutral/warm)
Skin care for your 40’s & 50’s
- Characterised by a marked decline in the levels of various hormones and growth factors.
- Cell damage has accumulated which becomes quite noticeable in the skin.
- The rate of skin turnover, cell renewal and repair becomes much slower.
- Wrinkles are becoming ‘static’ and are related to sun damage and genetics.
- Perimenopause or menopause causes a dramatic decline in the hormones produce by the ovaries: estrogens and progesterone. The loss of these hormones causes a decline in collagen production and other vital components of the skin.
- Production of oil (sebum) reduces and thinning of the skin becomes more noticeable.
- The effect of declining testosterone in men is somewhat similar but not as noticeable or as quick.
- Another problem may be excessive inflammation which increases the production of harmful free radicals and leads to increased cell damage, degradation of the skin matrix and other associated problems.
- Thickening and drying up of the outer layer of skin leads to the dull, parched appearance.
- Thinning and weakening of the true skin (dermis), which is the layer responsible for the skin’s renewal, strength, firmness and resilience, leads to the development of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Uneven pigmentation, discolorations, broken capillaries, redness and other blemishes associated with skin ageing become more evident.
- Loss of facial fat and slackening of facial muscles, both of which contribute to a tired look and facial sag.
Now for the good news
What you can do to fight back
- Ensure hydration or skin nourishing with hyaluronic acid
- Treat wrinkles with Vit A, B, C, growth factors and DNA repair strategies, to stimulate collagen product, fade pigmentation, repair damaged tissue and help restructure, hydrate and nourish skin restoring optimal skin health and clarity.
- Help balance your body and reduce wrinkles and improve skin hydration with topical natural harmonising and balancing cream known as “the woman’s herb”
- Exfoliate – in the forties the outer skin (epidermis) is becoming drier and thicker, due to its cells not being replaced as fast as they use to. Resulting in your skin looking dull and dry, with an uneven texture and may also feel rough and scaly. (if skin is suffering from inflammation do not exfoliate)
Essential skin care for 40’s & 50’s
- Cleanse AM & PM – to cleanse & allow the serums to penetrate into the skin
- Treatment Serums AM & PM – anti-ageing treatment serums to rejuvenate, restore natural pigment, repair skin, stimulate collagen production, help remodel scare tissue etc, (visit our Skincare Advisor to identify your skin concerns)
- Hydrate AM & PM – hydrate and nourish, replenishing essential natural oils & moisture to the skin
- Exfoliate 1-3 x per week with natural enzyme exfoliator to remove dead skin cells and restore luster back into skin (also helps penetration of active ingredients)
- Sun Wise AM – non-chemical, calming and hydrating sun protection
- Mineral Veil Foundation – natural light weight pure mineral foundation, to match your skin colour and tone, giving you an even complexion (cool/neutral/warm)