A perfect shave is more than choosing the right blade. Often harsh ingredients in shaving product leaves your skin inflamed and irritated.
It is mistakenly thought that if the skin is irritated and sensitive after a shave it is due to a blade pressing to hard against the skin, leaving the skin feeling tender and sore. But it can also often be to harsh ingredients in the shaving product.
Perfect shave mistakes for men & women
- Using harsh irritating ingredients
- Inflamed and irritated skin
- Ingrown hairs
Harmful and irritating ingredients
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are widely used in cosmetics as a foaming agent and can cause skin irritations.
- Skin layers may separate and inflame due to their protein denaturing properties.
- Isopropyl Alcohol is a solvent and denaturant (that changes another substance’s natural qualities)
- This ingredient is often found in After Shave Lotions!
- Propylene Glycol (PG) is used as a wetting agent and solvent.
- This ingredient is the active component in antifreeze. There is no difference between the PG used in industry and the PG used in personal care products.
- TEA, (triethanolamine) is an emulsifying agent, and keeps oil and water from separating.
- This ingredient is a skin irritant found in many formulas contaminated with nitrosamines, which are linked to cancer.
Four factors that promote skin irritations, sensitivity and ingrown hairs:
- The application of potentially irritation shaving ingredients.
- The action of shaving, where the top layer of dead skin cells are removed.
- Increased penetrate of irritation ingredients due to the skin being shaved ‘open’
- Irritating ingredients and harsh shaving techniques can cause ingrown hairs
Perfect shave steps
- Apply to wet skin with a shaving brush or fingertips
- Wait 30 seconds allowing the product to ‘act’, re-apply a little more product with water, massage to cover area,
- Gently shave and rinse well.
- Follow with moisturiser